Friday, July 9, 2010

Pie


It's a funny thing how we think about things as a child and discover they are completely different as an adult. For example, before moving out East I thought it was completely developed and paved over, no wilderness left. I didn't think there was even any wildlife. My friend gets a good laugh out of that. I had never seen pictures, my only visit previously was to NJ and everything I saw was Industrial areas, cities and towns. So I was pleasantly surprised when I arrived to see forests, wild animals, and tons of open undeveloped space, I'm not sure now why everyone rushed to the West.Not that I don't love the west because I do, but they told us in school they were looking for open spaces, wouldn't that mean there was no space left. Blueberries are another misconception for me. Where I grew up we didn't have blueberries, we had wild huckleberries. Huckleberries look like tiny blueberries. The shrub is small, knee height. So... that is what I expected when it came to blueberries. Boy was I wrong. I don't know if in the west a blueberry bush would be classified as a bush, probably a small tree is more like it. They are as tall as the average adult. Considerably bigger than a huckleberry bush. The grower plant them in rows like an orchard. I sort of expected them random, like in the book "Blueberries for Sal", I was kind of expecting something like "Blueberries for Sal". Anyway I learned something new this week about blueberries. It blueberries in Main don't grow like this please tell me now.

No comments:

Post a Comment